Dear NCD Pastors and Church Leaders,
So we do not lose heart… these simple words from 2 Corinthians 4:16 have been my constant comfort through so many troubling times. In the midst of adversity (2 Cor 4:8-11) and in light of our obvious human limitations (2 Cor 4:7, 16-17), 2 Corinthians 4 reminds us that God is trustworthy, these problems are temporary and our future is filled with hope. So this week, whatever else you do, don’t lose heart.
Sifting through all the noise can be difficult right now. In light of this, we encourage local church leaders to look to these primary sources for reliable information: MDH Coronavirus website, CDC Coronavirus website, the President’s Coronavirus guidelines and EFCA Covid-19 resources.
This week, our district has the following recommendations for all NCD churches:
- We continue to recommend that local NCD churches postpone all in-person congregational gatherings, including corporate worship services, for the next 8 weeks (based upon CDC and MDH guidelines).
- Likewise, we continue to recommend that groups of 10 or more should not meet in-person for 15 days (based on the President’s Coronavirus guidelines).
- It is possible that these time periods will be extended. However, we encourage you to wait for official word of a change prior to taking additional action. In addition, we encourage you to wait for more information before making final decisions on summer events.
- We encourage you to continue to gather and connect through the internet, video conferencing, phone calls, text messages and traditional mail.
- Many church leaders are understandably concerned about the impact this situation will have on their finances. If your church leadership team is experiencing anxiety or needs coaching in this area, please reach out to someone on our NCD staff. We are here to walk alongside you!
During this unique season of ministry, we want to encourage our churches to plan intentional times of fasting and prayer. Along these lines, our district staff will be fasting and praying for our NCD family of churches on Thursdays during lunch.
Finally, let me close with a brief word about caring for yourselves. During a crisis, church leaders face significant strain and carry heavy congregational burdens. Therefore, we encourage you to prioritize your spiritual rhythms, find a healthy daily routine, allow time for rest and refreshment, connect with your family and reach out when you need help.
Godspeed as you walk with Jesus and serve His church in the week to come.
Brian Farone | District Superintendent | North Central District