Certification / Ordination

Certification is a further stage in the credentialing process. The certificate remains valid as long as the individual is serving in accordance with EFCA standards. There are two certificates. The Certificate of Ordination is designed mainly for lead (senior and solo) pastors. The Certificate of Christian Ministry is designed for a wide range of other ministries. The procedural process is the same for both certificates, except that the standards for ordination are more rigorous. For more details about certification see the FAQs on this site and the “Ministerial Credentialing in the EFCA” document on the national EFCA website.

If you choose to become certified, here are your main tasks in preparing. These tasks are spelled out further in the certification checklist below.

Transferring Your Ordination

To transfer your existing ordination from a denomination or church to the EFCA, you must receive initial approval from Dave Linde in our district office. First read the transfer-of-ordination information on the national EFCA website and then contact Dave at dave.linde@ncdefca.org. If you have received his approval, read through the rest of this page, understanding that you are exempt from the licensing process. However, you must still be prepared to meet the EFCA standards for ordination. After you have read the present page, check the credentialing resources page for a transfer-of-ordination checklist and other forms.

Evaluating Your Readiness

You will be expected to pass muster on your paper and in your examination council. Are you prepared to have a group of 10 to 204 people ask you questions about the Bible, theology, and ministry? Here are some things to think through relative to your readiness:

  • How did your licensing interview go? Have you studied the areas that your interviewers indicated were weak in your understanding?
  • Have you read the article “Are Your Ready for Your Ordination Council?“?
  • Have you taken unhurried time during your licensing period to study and reflect on Biblical truths?
  • Have you been a part of a licensing discussion group, had a personal mentor, or in some other way had extended opportunity to interact with others about theological themes?
  • Have you visited an examination council to see what it’s like? Have you held your own “mini council” with a few friends who can test you and give you advice about your strengths and weaknesses?
  • Have you had at least one competent person read and critique your paper?

We want to do all that we can to help you be ready. Contact our office if you have questions or concerns.

Application Forms

You must (again) fill out several forms of various sorts and furnish some information so that, in compliance with Minnesota state law, we can check on your previous employment relative to sexual integrity. See the portion of the national EFCA website for forms required by the national office. See the resources page of the NCD website for the forms required by our district.

Letters and Recommendations

You must (again) write a letter of intent and secure some formal recommendations.

Certification Thesis

You must expand your licensing paper, demonstrating greater depth and breadth of understanding. Guidelines for the paper can be found on the EFCA website: Ordination, Christian Ministry.

Making Arrangements for the Examination Council

Once your paper is approved for the council you can begin planning this event. You will do that in consultation with our office. See the checklist below for more details.

Click here for a checklist to follow as you move toward certification.

Click here for a transfer-of-ordination checklist.

711 10th Ave South
Minneapolis, MN 55415